Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Don't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

The people at MATE take pride in their Unity desktop. Never ran it myself, I don't like Unity. Bet you would like that. Don't like ubuntu-gnome either. Don't like xfce....

Anyhow give it a try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwn-2 View Post
    Really??? But they do have plenty of time to develop a complettely different looking OS!! Makes perfect sense doesn't it.
    I wouldn't know. I've used KDE for decades. Despite the upgrade to Plasma in KDE5, it more or less looks and functions the same way it always has.

You're not going to get far here by sounding so angry. As I said, if you like 16.04 you still have nearly two full years of support.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I admit it took a week or two to get used to gnome after being a Unity fan for so long, myself. When I first moved to 18.04, I went to Kubuntu and it was rock solid. After a while I went to gnome and got over the changes. I also admit that firing up an Ubuntu VM that still has Unity now makes my head spin. 18.04 was solid as a rock for me.

The uproar of Canonical's dropping of Unity is much smaller than the uproar that happened when they put it into production.

I've not spent much time using Mate, but I have noticed that the people who do are mighty proud of it, so it may be worth a test drive.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Install 14.04 or any other End Of Life version of Ubuntu and enjoy. You can do as you please. Maybe you'll be lucky and you won't get pwned.

Canonical didn't develop a completely different looking OS when they dropped Unity. They realized that developing Unity was too costly and moved to a default DE that they didn't have to develop because somebody else develops it.

There is little anyone here can do about Canonical's actions since nobody here works for Canonical.

If you want to make a fuss, at least have your facts and context straight.
    Last edited by QIII; July 28th, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You could run 16.04 till 2021 and then upgrade the kernel to the latest LTS kernel and run it for another 5 years. Not according to Hoyle, but If you really want to resist change.

And Ubuntu-gnome is built on gnome from the maintainers site, gnome.org, Canonical maintains their own version of it and not the builders of it.

https://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

Bottom line is Unity will be phased out and MATE will maintain their own version of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it aren’t broken, don’t repair it. Ubuntu 16.04 was never broken. Neither was Ubuntu 14.04, or any other earlier version.
    Everyone has a slightly different experience and expectations about what a broken OS is. For all the people who dislike something about a release, there are 20x more who aren't having any issue with it. I've noticed that younger people and people "in the business", tend to appreciate "new" more than end-users and people who are older, just trying to get things done on their computer. Change is the enemy of working, to them.

Plus, younger people are likely to have a newer, more powerful, computer, and they want to see all the GUI "cheese" they can get. Canonical's main release is designed to take advantage of a relatively new computer with a $200+ GPU. Those people deserve and OS that has all the bells and whistles too, don't they?

The GUI isn't the OS, BTW. There are 20-50 different GUIs you can run on pretty much any Ubuntu release. If you don't like the change in the default GUI, then don't use it. Try out a few. While you are testing them out, please create new userids for the play areas, so incompatible config files don't harm your main account. When I'm looking for a different GUI, I'll check out some youtube videos first, then look for some screen shots online, and finally, when I'm down to 5-10 I'd like to try, then I'll create 10 userids and try each GUI in a fresh user.

To me, 16.04 and 14.04 and 12.04 WERE definitely broke. Since 10.04, debian+Canonical have been making changes for infrastructure parts of the OS trying to solve problems that I never had. 18.04 hasn't been much different from what I can see. I still miss 10.04. It worked. It used all the normal Unix config files, they worked as expected. It was a beautiful, stable, setup.

I don't touch non-LTS releases beyond playing with them for an hour or two. If I don't give it at least a few weeks, I'm not qualified to make statements outside my personal opinion.

I got through phases of which GUI I prefer. The last few months, I've been using the GUI I first used in 1996 - fvwm. Around 2002, they changed some things about it, but it is basically the same. It is crazy customizable. http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/2004...screenshot.jpg but it can be as simplistic as you like too. If you want a pre-build config that is fairly fancy, but needs minimal resources, check out fvwm-crystal.
    Before switching back to fvwm, I was running openbox. Before that it was Mate, fvwm-crystal, LXDE, XFCE, Gnome, KDE. I even ran twm for a few, painful, hours. I've tried about 20 other GUIs, but found them all lacking something. These are all in the Canonical repositories.

The GUI isn't the OS. We are never stuck with the GUI that some distro maker installs by default. Never.

Beans

Going from gnome2 to Unity, now that was a pain. (I'd love to have the awesome desktop themes that were in Jaunty Jackalope and Karmic Koala.) I think that was the time we got rid of a certain sub-forums because every conversation about the change ended up getting moved to "recurring discussions" anyways.

@TheFu, FVWM looks pretty cool!
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

What TheFu runs is very old school and used by few. My virt-server install runs xWindows and is in comparison a dinosaur. Desktops can be built, with or without Hoyle.

Beans

To be honest, I don't have a cooking clue what most of you are talking about here. I don't know what is Hoyle, xWindows, Xubuntu, gnome, Unity, DE, etc, etc. All I know is that Ubuntu 14.04 does everything I want it to do and Ubuntu 18.04 does not. It invested quite some time to learn all about 14.04, and I am still learning new things almost every day. I simply do not have the time to learn everything from scratch again. I actually must work for a living. I am not so lucky as some of you guys to have the spare time to try out a few dozen different OS's to see which one wil suit my likings the best.

Beans

To be honest, I don't have a cooking clue what most of you are talking about here. I don't know what is Hoyle, xWindows, Xubuntu, gnome, Unity, DE, etc, etc. All I know is that Ubuntu 14.04 does everything I want it to do and Ubuntu 18.04 does not. It invested quite some time to learn all about 14.04, and I am still learning new things almost every day. I simply do not have the time to learn everything from scratch again. I actually must work for a living. I am not so lucky as some of you guys to have the spare time to try out a few dozen different OS's to see which one wil suit my likings the best.
    Gnome is the desktop environment you were using in Ubuntu18.04. Unity is the one you were using in 14.04. Xubuntu is Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop environment.

About that spare time... everyone has hobbies. Some of us do this for a living. We know about multiple desktop environments, because we have many of these other DEs installed in virtual machines or because we work with multiple DEs as not all customers use a specific interface.

Finding the DE that is right for you is like buying a new car. You should test drive a few to make sure you're going to be happy with what you buy, especially cine you're paying with your time.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast